Question

Please help - working mother with major problem
Dear CS,

I worked for 9 years at a company where I grew increasingly unhappy, as my boss had a stroke and became really difficult to work with. I stayed partly out of loyalty but also because it's very difficult to find a job in my industry (clothing). After looking for the right job for 4 years, I was put in touch with another company by one of my friends, and it all sounded very exciting. The company is larger than the previous one and it's really a position that looks good on any CV, and I took the big step of resigning after 3 interviews and liking what I saw.

In the interviews I was asked whether I had a problem staying after hours if there was a crisis, and I said no, that my daughter (3) stays with my mom during the day, so there would be no problem (I wanted to create a good impression and let them know that I am a hard worker).

The problem is, I feel they are taking advantage of me and I am being forced to skimp on time with my daughter that I wasn't prepared for. I have had to work late just about every evening (sometimes to do things which are given to me at the last minute, unannounced) and everything Saturday (the deal was that we would work 2 a month). I have spoken to my boss and let her know that I don't want to take advantage of my mom as a babysitter, but she ends up turning things around and indirectly blaming me for perfectly natural holdups such as machines breaking down etc.

Am I within my rights to complain about this, or have I, by agreeing to work late in emergencies, dug my own grave?

Hi Kato,
what you offered in the interview was to deal with a CRISIS. If it lasts longer than a week or so, that's no crisis, that's routine --- and that's unfair. Is there an HR division you can discuss this with ? Discuss it with your boss too. You offered to work late in a genuine emergency --- and someone else having failed to do their work in time and creating a problem is not an emergency, and there shouldn't be an emergency every night. And you surely didnt offer to work late without pay --- how are they managing to pay your overtime ?
Puple seems to have all the facts right, and they're important in this sort of situation. And I agree, work handed in at the last minute should be done the next morning --- the person who finished it too late can't expect you to work late because they were tardy.