Ask an expert

13 Mar 2003

please keep me sane
Hi Doc, I am 32 and I believe that I am a very strong woman. I have two beautiful daughters who I love dearly. I feel like my head is going under the water coz my hubs is not working and I am trying to cope with paying school fees and rent and policies etc. We have not been grocery shopping for I can't tell you how long. We live on a day to day basis and I know that in todays world there are so many people in the same boat as me and I am just scared that I am going to lose it and I need to be strong especially for my girls. I like routine and at the moment my life is in shambles.

Can you suggest any thing to keep me from going sane? or if there are others out there who are in the same boat and can advise on how they are coping?
Answer 325 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear shambles,
I can understand how difficult this situation is ( and even your typo, asking for a suggestion to "keep me from going sane" ! ) -- I'm sure you're quite sane enough, and likely to remain sane, even though it is uncomfortable to handle not merely the specific difficulties you describe, but also their mesing up the sort of orderly and planned life most of us prefer to lead.
Presumably, along with continuing to seek suitable work, your husband is available to share more of the cae of the children and home, which may help ---not only by lightening the burden on you, but helping him to maintain a feeling of being active and useful, as part of the impact of unemployment is not only financial, but the sense of being unwanted, unneeded, and losing the habits of being industrious and active. Check with the school and the local educaton authorities, as there are supposed to be mechanisms to relieve families in this sort of situation of some or all of the school fees. Rent is often inflexible, but I understand it can also be useful to discuss with the insurers about policies, to explore ways in which to minimize the costs, and to avoid letting them lose value.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9266 votes
66% - 17851 votes