Question

Polycystic ovaries

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries at the age of 21 and have been on the pill ever since to regulate my menstrual cycle. If I leave the pill nothing happens.
Please advise on my chances of having a baby?
fertility expert

Dear Marigold

The chances of conception will depend on several factors including the severity of the polycystic ovaries as seen on ultra-sound scan as well as the hormone profile. In addition, the possibilities of insulin resistance co-existing or other parameters of the metabolic syndrome or further impact on the possibilities of conception. However, a trial of ovulation induction is by far the best means of testing ovarian response and hence it would be prudent to attempt such ovulation induction under the supervision of a fertility specialist.