Question

polycystic ovary syndrome
I was recently diagnosed with pcos and need advice on an eating plan that would help me loose weight an maintain it. I''m currently in the normal BMI range but my weight have fluctuated with up to 15kg over the past 9years. I really need help to maintain my desired weight.

What should I do, keeping in my mind current medical condition?

In general I really try to eat healthy (lots of fruit and veg and only whole wheats) and excersize for 1h almost every day.

Dear Mary
Patients with PCOS generally also suffer from insulin resistance which could explain your previous weight gain. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as PCOS and potential overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. The fact that you do regular daily aerobic exercise for 1 hour per day is excellent because it helps you to improve your insulin and glucose levels. You are already on the right track, but just require some fine tuning to your diet (for example whole wheat products are not low-GI unless they contain ingredients like soya which lowers the GI). Keep up the good work.