Question

Possible early lung-disease
I am a 33-year old woman. I've been experiencing mild chestpains and chortness of breath during the day. The symptoms would get worse by night. I often wake up during the night for our kids, and then it seems I can only take very shallow breaths. These symptoms has been going on for at least two years now. If I try to inhale any deeper, it feels like my lungs are going to tear or explode. I developed a chronic wet cough a month ago and the night-symptoms are worse. I've been a smoker for the past 14 years (1 pack a day) and I fear for the worse. My doctor suggests heartburn and said that I should cut down on coffee and cigarettes. I'm too afraid to consult a doctor again and I have a struggle with quiting smoking. Help.

Dear Ironlung
You may have developed emphysema or asthma - ask your doctor to refer you for a lungfunction test as there are very effective medication you can take to help. You also need a lung x/ray to exclude chronic bronchitis.
If you want to quit ( always a good thing) don't go too fast - gradually cut your number of smokes per day until you can get away with 5 or less per day and try to stop then. It is too difficult from a pack a day to nothing.
Why are you afraid of the doctor? Tell him you're trying!