Question

Possible Infection
I''m a healthy 30 year old male and up to recently was fully aware of my HIV status. I couple of days ago after a get together with friends I got a little too intoxicated. Feeling really lonely and sad (my monogamus relationship of a year ended a month ago), I sought out the company of a sex worker. It''s an hour of my life I wish I could get back, as this is the first time I have ever done something so unbecoming. Now, flooded with feelings of guilt and regret and fear of possibly having contracted something, I am having trouble focussing. It was a stupid thing to do, for I am a successfull good looking guy, and don''t really need to resort to things like this. What do I do now? I have read that HIV will possibly only turn up in tests after 12 weeks. I was quite drunk, but I remember that a condom was used, and I also remember performing oral sex on her. Should I go see a doctor? Since this type of behaviour only manifested itself when I over indulged, should I see a life coach or counsellor? Am I a binge alcoholic? How do you quit drinking when you only do it socially with friends?

By the sound of your message you are truly regretful and beating yourself with guilt. Those are emotions best dealt with by a Professional Psychologist. A lot of people engage in activities that they regret. The most important thing is to learn your lesson and then deal with the reality at hand. The fact is that sexual intercourse have possible sexually transmitted diseases (STD’s) that can be transmitted. Over and above HIV you can also contract other STD’s and it is important to get tested as soon as possible. I recommend you seek as soon as possible the professional assistance from a medical doctor as well as a psychologist as soon as possible.

You are welcome to phone our helpline – 0860100262 where you could be assisted in finding a practitioner that you could go and see as close as possible to you. You are also welcome to visit our website www.sexualhealth.co.za that makes for interesting reading.