Question

possible Sarcoma - HELP!!!!
My mother has had a cold hanging on for 4-5 weeks now, she now has a lump thats steadly growing on the top of her left foot, its not on the joint or near a joint.

The Doctor is testing her for possible Sarcoma and other rhuematic complaints, my mother is a suffer of arthritis in some of her joints. What is the likelihood of sarcoma and what is the survival rate if caught in time?

She has just turned 60 and is very well in herself at the moment

Dear Vicky,
A Sarcoma is a dangerous bone cancer and your doctor would probably have taken an X/ray and asked an orthopod to take a bone biopsy or sample if he was worried. You also get totally benign bony growths on the bones of the foot (ostoid osteoma) so one need not always expect the worst. Sarcoma is actually a cancer that we normally see in young people <20 years and half the lesions are located in the region of the knee. With proper treatment, 75% of patients with sarcoma survive more than 5 years ( which is a sign that you can get it to go into remission or a resting state)