Question

post surgery zinc supplements
Hello, I hope this finds you well.
After a double hip replacement, a friend suggested I take zinc to aid in the healing of the incision. I found a daily supplement of 50mg but from what I've read this seems like it could be too much. Is it safe to continue with this dosage?
I received the first surgery on June 8th and the second on July 20th. I'm a 58 year old active male and healing very well. But of course, it's not going fast enough.
Thanks for reading this and good afternoon,
Jim

Dear Jim
They have given up to 40mg of Zinc per day to promote healing but if your zinc levels are normal, it won't make a huge difference. Normal daily allowance is about 10 - 12 mg per day for an adult.
See http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/zinc.html
Anyway, hope you get better soon!