Question

powdered sauces
I would like to know if powdered sauces are fattening, like the potatoe bake ones and the mince mate ones? Also, is it bad to eat popcorn kernels before they have popped and how long does it take to digest them? I often eat a handful of the ones still left in the pot after making popcorn. Thanks

Dear Honey
The energy content of powdered sauces depends on how much fat and sugar they contain. If they don't list the energy content per serving on the label, then you can word on an average energy content of about 100 cal per 100 ml if you reconstitute such sauces with low-fat milk. But check on the package. It is not bad to eat unpopped maize kernels (unless you have fragile teeth!). It would take as long to digest them as most other high-fibre foods, thus about 6-12 hours.