Question

Preg and wanting to lose weight
I am currently overweight and have just found out that I am pregnant. Is there a diet or something you can reckomend that will enable me to lose weight without harming my baby?

Dear Adrienne
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I would recommend that you preferably consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assess your present weight and food intake and then devise a slimming diet that promotes weight loss, but still provides all the essential nutrients you are your baby need. Ask the dr who is supervising your pregnancy if you are allowed to do exercise and if so, try going for walks in the fresh air every day because moderate exercise should not harm the baby and can also assist with weight loss.
Enjoy your pregnancy