Ask an expert

10 Jan 2005

Pregancy weight
My little one is now seven months old. Before his birth I was always over weight but managed to loose all my weight about 25kg with lots of hard work and exercise (also I found out I was insulin resistant and wanted to have a baby)

Now seven months after his birth I am back to being where I was and get very dispondent and I cannot seem to loose any of the pregancy weight.
I continue to follow the diet I was on but do not have all that time to exercise as I had before and find myself just exhausted at the end of the day.

My weight depresses and upsets me and I find it impossible to get motivated when I am always tired. I also suffer with a spastic colon, GORDS and thyroid problems so I have little variety in my diet. Any suggestions how I can motivate myself again and add excitement to my diet
Answer 343 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Sam
I can only suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian because you have such a complex set of conditions: insulin resistance, spastic colon, GORDS, thyroid and overweight. This is not the sort of situation where simply recommending one or other diet is going to take all these factors into consideration. The dietitian needs to work out a diet that takes all these factors into account, including if you are breastfeeding? and any medication you may be taking. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. There is, however, one factor I would like you to think about and that is the possibility that you may be suffering from post-natal depression. Depression can cause weight gain and prevent weight loss. So if this could apply then please go for help to a clinical psychologist (look in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or ask your gp to refer you). It may be the solution to your problem.
Holding thumbs that you get to grips with this weight problem.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9269 votes
66% - 17872 votes