Question

pregnancy
I am pregnant and eat a lot of biltong. Is biltong raw meat. Can it harm my baby?

regards
Lungisa

Dear Lungisa
Biltong is raw meat that has been pickled in salt and spices, and then dried to preserve it. If you only purchase good quality beef biltong from a butcher who gets his meat from a reputable abattoir, then the meat should not be harmful or contain any potential hazards like beef tape worm. Biltong is however, very salty and it is not a good idea to eat large quantities when you are pregnant because this could put a strain on your kidneys. Eat good quality biltong in small quantities as an occasional snack.