Question

Pregnancy and fear of dismissal
Early this year I underwent major surgery and had to use all my sick leave and annual leave. I have since been taking unpaid leave.

I found out recently that I am pregnant and it is a high risk pregnancy, to both me and baby. I face a lot of hospitalization as the pregnancy takes course and possible long term hospitalization.

I was called to a meeting with my supervisor and HR person. I was told that this pregnancy has long term impact on the organization as my work will be sitting on my desk everytime I am ill and on leave. Who will do my work. My supervisor wanted to know what is the limit for unpaid leave as I have already been hospitalized twice since learning of my pregnancy and there must be a cap on the number of days I take as unpaid. HR told her there is no cap.

I left that meeting feeling very guilty for being pregnant. I asked them what they expected me to do. They are not happy with me being hospitalized or being put off work by my doctor and if they want, I will still come to work, despite my doctor''s orders. They said that they can''t allow that. But my pregnancy is a problem, so what do I do?

I am so terrified that they may not renew my contract next year, based on me having a baby - and they will offcourse not admit this, but can easily say there are no funds and rehire after a few months.

I am feeling very insecure right now. I am even afraid to tell my supervisor that I am going to be hospitalized in the next 3 weeks for some minor surgery to have cervical sutures put in. We''re having a big meeting at the end of Aug and I am terrified that this is the week, my doctor will need to do the sutures. Unfortunately, I don''t have a choice here. I have to do the surgery as soon as possible and this will be that time. I am pregnant with multiples. I have a constant light bleed. My doc has said I should get bed rest whenever I need it, but I am scared to ask for it, even when I am ill. I was told not to make a habit of asking to leave a bit early even if I am unwell. I must also make up the time I take for docs appointments as I go every 2 weeks by either coming early or leaving late.

I am in no position, physically to come in early or leave late. I travel with my hubby because I get very ill in the car and cannot drive and furthermore I have family duties to see to in the evenings.

I am afraid and I don''t want to feel guilty for having babies. Please advise.
Labour lawyer
Labour lawyer

RE: PREGNACY AND FEAR OF DISMISSAL

Once you have used up all your sick leave then you cannot access same again unless the company allows you to do so. Maternity leave is vastly different. If they've been renewing your contract on an annual basis then the non renewal of the contract can be challenged.