Question

pregnant & hiv+
I am 32weeks pregnant & hiv+,what is the best medication & how soon should I start it To prevent infecting my baby with he virus

If you can afford HART therapy, this has the best chance of decreasing transmission to the baby and you can start this straight away. If not, there are two options: 1) AZT from 36 weeks 2) Nevirapine as a stat dose when the labour pains start. Both of these decrease transmission to around 10%. You should also decide about your method of feeding. Bottle feeding decreases transmission in breast milk.