Question

pregnant, hiv positive how to eat healthy
I would like to know i am a 28 year old lady who is 3 months pregnant, hiv positive, I have an ileostomy and I have piicked up 8kg's since the start of my pregnancy. Could you give me advice on what to eat all things considered. I know I have to pick up weight but I already feel uncomfortable, I don't do exercise, only walking.

Dear Angie
If you started your pregnancy at a normal weight you can gain up to 16 kg during the course of your pregnancy (this is still within the normal range). Because you are HIV-positive I would not like to see you going on any strict diet at this stage as it would be detrimental to you and the baby. Because of your ileostomy I would strongly recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a diet that not only assists with your HIV-status and the ileostomy, but also ensure that you and your baby get the necessary nutrients during your pregnancy. In the meanwhile, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and read the articles on 'Pregnancy'. Keep up the walking as this is an excellent form of exercise.
Wishing you all of the very best with your pregnancy.