Ask an expert

26 Feb 2003

Premature ejaculation
Hi Doc,
I'm suffering from premature ejaculation. However, in the event that I had a couple of beers,my problem is gone. Under normal circumstances I ejaculate prematurely, but still keep my erection(no problem with that). Is there any drug or medicine available to replace alcohol intake as it seems that after a couple of beers I have NO PROBLEM.

Please advise
Answer 332 views

01 Jan 0001

JC, it sounds like it it is due to stress/anxiety and that’s why it doesn’t happen after you’ve had a couple of bears. You have to remember that in the adult man, anything that causes anxiety or stress when intercourse is attempted can cause premature ejaculation.
The easiest way to treat it is to increase the opportunities for ejaculation as this may decrease sexual tension. Another option is the stop-start technique with or without the squeeze technique. Basically this means you have intercourse/masturbate until you feel an orgasm coming on. You then cease all stimulation for 30 seconds. You repeat this for 3 times and then allow ejaculation. If you move to close to the “point of no return”, you squeeze the penis hard just below the glans (this will stop you from having an orgasm). With time you will learn to control your ejaculation (works in >95% of cases). When you make love you can also put on 2 condoms and in that way decrease the sensitivity. In the other 5% drugs like Anafranil® and psychotherapy can be tried.
There are buckets full of alternative "therapies" available ranging from the entertaining to the absurd to the down right dangerous. The important thing is that when attempting to cure premature ejaculation, you have to make sure that it doesn't ruin making love for you and your partner.
In the end you have to remember that it’s not bad for your health, but it might be for your self-esteem and that most men may have an episode or two of premature ejaculation, but few have a chronic problem with it. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.