Question

Premature menopause
I was reading an old copy of the Essentials magazine about premature menopause and I was quite afraid to realise that I had a few of those same symptoms. Could I ask you a few questions?

I have been off the Triphasil pill for more than 6 months and my periods are still quite irregular. Irregular that they seem to start a day or two later every month, it is lighter than it used to be (before and during the use of the pill) and I experience almost no stomach cramps! It used to be the opposite when I was on the pill and even before I was on the pill.

To top that, for the past month I have been having extremely strange hot flushes in the morning and have been extremely irratable and moody! I thought that I might be pregnant but I got tested and it was negetive!

So could it be that these are the symptoms of early menopause? I want to go to a doctor but I really do not want to be scoffed at saying that menopause is for old people. Should I go to the doctor and can you tell me what and how they will test for early menopause?

Help me please doc!

Flushed, the pill tends to make your periods lighter and less uncomfortable, so that isn’t a reason for concern. The problem is that the pill is supposed to make you menstruate on the same day of your cycle every time, so the fact that your cycle becomes longer every month is strange. This and the hot flushes and terrible moods seem to suggest a hormonal imbalance, but I can’t prove it from this side of the screen. The best would be to see your doctor and have it sorted out. Good luck.