Ask an expert

16 Jan 2008

preventing further food allergies
21 yr old son had diarrhea 7 months ago. Was initially diagnosed with candida. Had coloncoscopy 4 months later and candida is now clear. Has since become allergic to wheat and corn. How do I prevent further food allergies? How do I know when his flora is balanced? How do I maintain his weight? Will he become de-sensitised to the wheat and corn if he stays away from it for 6 months? When can I introduce sugar? Thanks.

Answer 385 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Claudie
I think that it is important that you consult a clinical dietitian for a toddler diet that avoids all wheat and maize. This is not an easy diet to apply because so many commercial food products contain either wheat or corn or products made from these grains. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. You can certainly give your son probiotics (beneficial microorganisms) such as Bifidoforte or Bifidoflora (buy at chemist or health shop) to ensure that his flora are healthy. If he is on a wheat- and maize-free diet he will gain weight. There is no way to predict if he will become desensitised to these allergens or not. You can do a so-called 'challenge test' with a very small quantity of either wheat or maize after say 6 months - if the diarrhoea returns then he must remain wheat and corn-free for another 3-6 months, after which you can repeat the challenge. You can introduce sugar at any stage, but use it moderately as he needs to concentrate on nutritious foods right now. To read more about food allergies click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance'. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: to find out more about allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: .
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.