Question

Probiotics and allergy
Is it possible to be allergic to some of the probiotics in yogurt? Since probiotics have been added to yogurt I develop severe diarrhea and cramping an hour or two after eating it. I do not experience the same symptoms with milk or cheese.

Dear Sally
I don't think that you are 'allergic' to probiotics, but their potentially laxative effect may be causing the diarrhoea and cramps after eating them. You say that you do not experience symptoms with milk or cheese, but do all yoghurts even those without probiotics cause the diarrhoea and cramps? If that is the case then it could be some other component in yoghurt that is giving you a reaction (a colourant, flavourant, and even a preservative such as an antibiotic). It is ironic that some yoghurts that say they contain probiotics also contain an antibiotic to prevent spoilage, which of course not only kills harmful bacteria, but also the probiotics.