Ask an expert

30 Jan 2008

Problem with traumatized cat
I would be so grateful if you could help me. I have a problem
with one of my cats. We got him by a friend of my husband when he was
about 6 weeks old, but unfortunately the previous owners often teased and
mishandled the cat, pulling his tail and kicking him, and as a result he
became very traumatized and afraid of all humans. We have showered him
with love and affection, and on rare occassions he let's you stroke him,
but generally he doesn't like anyone touching him. He runs away if anybody
comes near him, especially strangers. We have had him for about two years
now and his behaviour hasn't changed. He spends most of the time indoors.
I have asked my veterinarian about his behaviour and was told that we
could give him medication to calm him, but that it would be very expensive
in the long run because we would have to give it to him every day for the
rest of his life. I am not in a position to afford such expensive
medication, since I am currently unemployed, but I do want the best for my
cat and don't know what else to do. I really want to help my cat overcome
his fear of human beings, even us - who he has known for quite some time
now. He doesn't like you stroking his back or even picking him up. If you
come around a corner, he goes into a panic and on the few occassions that
I have managed to catch him and pick him up, his heart is pounding and
it's almost as if he is getting a panic attack. Please help me with advice
on what to do with my cat.

Many thanks
Answer 365 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Carol
You should actually post on the cybervet page, but buy him some catnip at the nearest petshop, it is not expensive and will calm him down. You can scatter the catnip on the carpets and where he likes to lie down. Rub your hands with it before picking him up! Cats tend to “humanize” when they are small so he may be just the type of cat that will never be cuddly - but all animals react to love eventually…
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9324 votes
67% - 18756 votes