Ask an expert

16 Jul 2005

problem with weight los
i weight 120 kg in augus 2004. from januarie 2005 i weigh now between 97 and 98 kg . i do 1 hour tea bo advance work out and i do 40 km on n exsersize bike every day from january but it is if my weight is stuck. every body say that i exsersis to mutch is it true.i eat lots of high fiber no butter no eggs no cheese. a small glass of low fat yougurt n day but my broblem is we eat between 6 an 7 at night because of my husbands work. is that my problem.
Answer 387 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Rosemarie
Firstly congratulations for losing 22 kg - this is a wonderful success story and you should feel very proud of yourself. You are on the right track (just look at your results to date). You may be developing muscles from all the exercise and muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue, but I think you need to stick to your diet and do exercise for only 1 hour a day. Concentrate on exercise that burns up energy like the cycling. If you do not lose any more weight (and I can't work out how much you still need to lose because you don't mention your height in metres so that I can calculate your present BMI) after another month, then it may be a good idea to have yourself tested by a medical dr for hormone imbalances (thyroid, female hormones and insulin resistance). If you should suffer from insulin resistance then you need to consult a clinical dietitian. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will work out a diet for you that is based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI).For information about using low GI foods, click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. But first give your body a chance and keep up the good work.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.