Ask an expert

28 Jun 2010

property with ex-boyfriend
What options to follow to get out of joint bond?
Answer 342 views
Family law expert
family law expert

01 Jan 0001

You can apply for a Substitution of Debtor on a joint bond. Section 57 of the Deeds Registries Act 47 of 1937 makes provision for substituting one mortgagor with another. It costs about 50% less than having to register a completely new bond. However, most banks hesitate to entertain "substitution of debtors" transactions. The reason for this is that they may worry that their security will be compromised if the mortgage bond document is merely changed to reflect the new mortgagor. Best would be to approach the bank with such a request, necesarily your fiance must also accept that he will be substituted.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9326 votes
67% - 18776 votes