Question

PROTEIN AND FAT
I asked you about gutting out carbs and you advised me to have a look at the old site under high protein diets which I did do. Is the only problem with cutting out carbs that we then replace it with protein that increases cardio disease. If I don't eat read meat (at all) and only eat trout; haddock; kingklip; tuna; sardines and chicken breasts that are 0.2 fat per 100g, would this still be a problem. I don't want to cut out carbs completely because I love fruit. My diet at present consists of 25%protein, 10% fat, and 65% carbs with an average of 1500 calories per day. I was thinking of making my protein 35% and making carbs 55%. I do exercise 5 times a week. Two of those days doing weights on the upper body. Besides cardio problems what else could be the problem and will eating all the fish and chicken mentioned increase my fat % in my diet? I am going to see a dietician like you suggested but can you please advise me till then.

Dear Snowie
An ideal normal diet would be 20% protein, 25-30% fat and 50-55% carbs, unless you are exercising very hard, which I think you do. The snag is that you may find that you don't have sufficient energy to sustain your exercise programme. You'd have to try it out to see. Your choice of protein foods is good and your dietitian will probably give you the ok seeing that you are training hard which allows up to 2g protein/kg. The fish could increase your total fat intake, but if you stick to moderate portions and cooking methods that don't add any fat, then it should be fine.