Question

Protein and sports nutrition
After reading your article on the above topic, I am more than a little concerned. I started training at Bootcamp six weeks ago and am having a great time but I feel that the 68g of protein/day recommended for a female endurance athlete seems to be too little? I have been on the Sureslim diet, which is extremely strict and on that I ate at least 200g of protein/day without doing any exercise. So how can someone in training survive on 68g of protein/day?

Dear Wilma
If you keep in mind that protein is only used to build new tissue and repair damaged tissue and NOT for energy purposes, or as a fuel, then all healthy adults, including athletes who are not in the muscle-building phase of weight training, do not need more than 1-1,5g of protein per kg body weight/day. Even the muscle builders would not have to ingest more than 2g protein/day. If a female athlete weighs about 45 kg then 68 g of protein per day = 43 x 1,5g, which is more than adequate. If this female athlete is trying to build muscle for sports such as weight lifting, discus, hammer, etc, then she would ingest 86g of protein a day. In addition the RDA for protein for adults is 68-70g per day, so when you were ingesting 200g/day you actually ate 3x the RDA for protein, something that is not necessary and may ahve long-term effects on kidney function.