Question

proteins for vegetarianes
My family are total vegetarianes. We eat too much starch and fat. We are of Indian origin. We eat a fair amount of processed soya. We have had 2 premature childern. I am worried that we do not eat sufficiend proteins. Are lentels;beans and soya sufficeint. Please help.If possible reply also to my Email adress.

Dear Raj
I can unfortunately not reply to individual e-mail addresses. Basically a total vegetarian diet which does contain soya, lentils, dry beans and dry peas, should provide sufficient protein for an adult. There is, however, a school of thought that states that children, teenagers and pregnant and lactating mothers do require small amounts of protein derived from animals such as milk, yoghurt, eggs, etc, to ensure that growth takes place properly. Is it possible for you to include some milk/yoghurt/cottage cheese or eggs in your diet? A strict vegan diet can of course also be deficient in calcium, iron, zinc, vitamin B12 and omega-3 fatty acids - all these nutrients may contribute to the problem. On the other hand there could be many physiological reasons why your children were premature (discuss this with your gynae). If you feel that you are deficient, then your gp can do tests to determine this and you can take vitamin and mineral supplements and even consider taking amino acid supplements if you are allowed to.