Question

02 Apr 2007

Provera and ovulation Question
Good day

I am a healthy, 26-year old woman.

I suffered a miscarriage at 11 weeks last year. I had a D&C on 18 October 2006. My first very light period was on the 26th of December. Then my period stayed away for 2 months. It finally returned this month, but lasted for more than 2 weeks.

My gynae did a sonar and everything is fine with my ovaries and uterus, it's just a hormonal imbalance. He gave me Provera for 10 days (one tablet per day) to stop the bleeding.

He said that, once the bleeding had stopped, my period would return again in about 3 days after that.

We have been trying to fall pregnant since the miscarriage, but, as you could gather from everything I said above, things have yet to return to normal.

My question is - is it true that my period should 'return' about 3 days after the bleeding has stopped? Will this mean that I can expect to ovulate about 14 days after my period has returned?

The gynae did say that we could start with fertility treatment since we want to fall pregnant, but I'd rather let things happen naturally.

Can I expect to start menstruating and/or ovulating normally because of the Provera?

Please advise! My gynae is very very busy and very hard to get hold of telephonically or personally.

You should have a bleed within a week of stopping the Provera and you can count ovulation from then. However, if you are not ovulating for some reason, the Provera will not make you ovulate.