Question

Prozac/ Nuzac
Hi Doc,
I was diagnosed with pretty severe depression several months ago. My doctor prescribed Cipralex which I took for 3 months without much effect. It actually just made me feel really weird. He then changed me to Prozac and within 6 weeks the change was incredible! I felt like a new person. After about 4 months on Prozac my pharmacist told me about the generic form-Nuzac. I was really impressed by the price difference so I started taking Nuzac. It's been 2 months now and my mood is steadily going down. I told my psychologist and she said that she had had similar cases in the past. How is this possible if Prozac and Nuzac are exactly the same thing? What are your views?

Cipralex is flavour-of-the-month at present, heavily pushed to the doctors, though I haven't seen enough data to believe it is superior to many other alternatives available today, though expensive. Any generic drug is required to contain exactly the identical chemical to the original version, and to provide evidence that it is equivalently available to your body. So although obviously the companies who manufacture the full-price version always try very hard to convince us all that nothing can possibly work as well as their most profitable version, generally generics ought to be equivalent. As Fluoxetine ( the active ingredient in prozac ) has been around for some time there are severeal alternative generic versions available at better prices --- even a generic made by Lilly the manufacturers of prozac ( and surely they didn't build 2 different factories to make the same chemical ) which you could be switched to, instead of the nuzak version.