Ask an expert

21 Feb 2003

Pshyciatrist or Pshycologist
Dear Doc

If I get Panic attacks and just feel miserable
Do you think it's best to go to a psychatrist or pshyclologist?

I wanted to make an appointment with a pshyciatrist, but then I heard that they will not cure this since they will only give you medicine and after that the panic attack will return??
Answer 726 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear girl,
You were misinformed. Medicines can cure panic attacks, and depressions ; and though some psychiatrists might be too ready to only prescribe medicines, the best ones combine the use of an effective medicine with proper psychological therapy, either povided by themselves, or by working with a psychologist in combination.
Either a pychologist or a psychiatrist can help wih these problems ; and a sensible and skilled psychologist, sould be able to recongize when adding a medicine would help, and arrang for you to receive such medicine through a psychiatrist or through your GP.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9326 votes
67% - 18773 votes