Question

Psychiatrist Fees

Why is it that psychiatrist fees are so insane? Most of them in Joburg are about R2000 for the first session and then about R750 for 20 minutes follow ups!
I desperately need help but cannot afford these fees - I think I have a non specified eating disorder in conjunction with anxiety and panic attacks. I don''t know which government hospitals in Johannesburg are any good (I have the impression they are all a nightmare!) and which have psychiatric units that can do an honest and realistic assessment as to whether I do have an eating disorder and then can refer me to the relevant eating disorder clinics... I have enquired about Tara''s eating disorder clinic but you need to be evaluated and assessed by a government psychiatric facility.. advice please...

Psychiatrists charges have gradually increased over the years, as have those of other medical specialists, many of whom have increased even more. There is a degree of control over this, too, keeping them broadly in line. Doctors costs have gone up a lot, too. And have you tried hiring a plumber or long-distance taxi driver, or electrician lately ?
Government institutions can be rather hit and miss, but the psych facilities are not bad in this area, so far as I hear.
Its likely that the Tara Eating Disorders clinic can get overwhelmed if they tried to admit people self-diagnosed, so maybe they require a prior expert assessment and proper diagnosis by a psychiatrist at a state institution ( and I doubt they'd refuse one from a private specialist psychiatrist ).