Ask an expert

26 Nov 2012

Psychological problems in family member
Hi there, what do I do when the person I love shows symptoms of psychological problems, but refuses to admit to there being a problem, refuses to speak to a psychologist or even a doctor about the possibility of a chemical imbalance. This combined with excessive alcohol, cannabis and other recreational drugs from time to time, is making it very difficult and I do not know which way to turn to try and see him that we need to get help. Please, any advice will be appreciated.
Answer 266 views

01 Jan 0001

Sometimes a person's psychological and internal chemical problems are caused by excessive intake of alcohol and other unhelpful drugs and chemicals ; sometimes they unhelpfully try to remedy their unhappiness by self-medicating with the alcohol and drugs, which make matters worse.
Its curious how someone who might angrily reject the idea of taking drugs recommended by a doctor, will often accept the use of damaging and impure drugs from who knows where.
There is nobody alive whose brain function is improved by alcohol, or cannabis, or other recreational drugs.
As to your original question, there is no easy answer. You can make it clear that you care about the person, that it is obvious to you ( and probably many other people ) that he is more unhappy and disorganized than he could be )m and that you wish you could encourage him to seek help, at least so far as getting an expert assessment and discussion of treatment options. But more than that you can't do - its up to the individual himself. SOmetimes the situation shifts and they might be open to changing their mind, and you can try to be available to recognize and use that opportunity. But otherwise, you can only wait and hope.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.