Question

01 Apr 2007

Psychologists that do Hynotherapy
Dear Cyer Shrink,

Where do I find the names of psychologists who do hypnotherapy. I need the ones' that are affordable or that do not charge for their help and services, as I am currently unemployed and cannot afford to go to some of these psychologists who want high prices. I did try seeking help for my problems and suicidal ideations, but I find that the psychologists at local provincial government hospitals are no good, as they keep on changing every 3-6 months and the therapy gets affected, as I have to go over my entire problem all over again with the new therapist. It is a wate of time, seeing 3 new therapists in one year.
Someone suggested that I see a psychologists who does hypnosis, which will help me resolve past issues, especially my troubled childhoold. Please can you recommend any such people in Durban (KZN) area.

Regards.

I think it is ALWAYS unwise for someone to decide on their own that they need Hypnotherapy and seek out a "hypnotherapist" to solve their problems. What you need is to see a good local psychologist for a proper assessment, and then to discuss various treatment options in the light of the results of that assessment. And I am unaware of any shrinks who offer hypnosis free or at cheaper rates than any more validated and effective treatments. With good CBT ( COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ) for instance, proper treatment would often no need to last more than 6 months, rather than the old-fashioned and invalid methods of endless chat which some use.
What actually happened in your troubled childhood ( and it might at first sound outrageous to you for me o say so ) matters very much less than the conclusions you have drawn and the habits of thought and response yopu have formed as a result of them. Whatever happened in the past is impossible to change, but what you choose to think about it and how you choose to respond to it, certainly can change and can set you free.
Have you asked the people at the hospital where you were seeing the revolving door psychologists whether they don't train their shrinkettes in CBT, and if not, why not ?