Ask an expert

11 Jan 2013

After a long long time, I am starting to read up on the bipolar I was diagnosed with a few years ago. I''ve never wanted to accept it and still to a point put the blame squarely on me. Anyway. in the last 3 weeks or so my mind has become very busy very full with bits and pieces of everything. While trying to distract myself from the overload I started reading up on the psychosis that sometimes accompanies bipolar. In all discussions with my pdoc i have always denied these symtoms, but I''m starting to thing that this may have affected me in the past and it may be happening now. But would like your opinion. Currently, it feels like my eyes are very sensitive to everything. I see things out of the corner of my eye, shadows moving where there should be no shadows. Cars appear to be standing still but actually moving. I walk into a room where there are people and i will hear a voice that sounds like someone i knew. like i said my head actually hurts cause there are so many thoughts and voices, have always said its just my voice, but im not so sure. when i was a teenager i felt like god was showing me things, just me. I fight any thoughts like that very hard now as i became very anti religion, cause all the things i was being shown never happened, and bad things still happened. i dont know it sounds crazy maybe its just my imagination, sure it is. all i know is that my head hurts i can''t focus on work for more than a few minutes at a time and the conversations in my head make no sense by they are causing me pain. zmy uncle had shizophrenia i dont want similar
Answer 225 views

01 Jan 0001

Its never your fault if you develop a disorder like Bipolar ; it can be your fault if you don't collaborate in getting it properly treated.
And this needs a proper expert assessment by a suitable specialist psychiatrist, and a discussion of treatment options. Yes, some psychotic problems can rarise within a Bipolar Disorder ; more often during the manic rather than the depressive phase, one can get distractable, agitated, upset and in other ways disturbed in ways such as you describe, and the treatment needed may be different from just taking antidepressants. See your shrink or at least GP for a re-assessment and a review of alternative treatments to help this
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9324 votes
67% - 18750 votes