Ask an expert

13 Nov 2006

A very dear friend of mine almost 2 years ago was hijacked outside their house and is very lucky to be alive. About 10 days ago he was with a friend during a hijacking/robbery and the friend was killed. I know that he turned to drink last time. I was not there a the time and care about him very much. I have not spokent to him recently and he does not answer my sms. Maybe he does not need other friends who dont know what his been through right now. How can I be of help to him? When I do speak to him what "tone" should I use ? Please advise Doc. Thanks. Lindy
Answer 241 views

01 Jan 0001

It is sadly common for people sufering PTSD or other post-trauma eations, to self-medicate with alcohol, and ofcourse this is not a helpful thing for them to do. He needs expert assessment and help from a shrink, especially in view of his history, so the best you can do to help him would be to be sympathetic aqnd supportive and to strongly encourage him to get appropriate expert assessment and treatment
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.