Question

PTSD/stress
Hi Justin

I have just been (6 months ago) through a very traumatic psychotherapeutic relationship (I was in therapy with him for 4 years) where the psychiatrist concerned has since been dealt with by SASOP through the Peer Review process. Whilst physical boundaries were not crossed, many others were and in so doing I have ended up feeling mentally abused to put it lightly (even though I know it was not his intention to abuse me). I also come from a history of CSA. I am in ongoing therapy in order to deal with it but my therapist is away at the moment (thus my reason for contacting you).

Whilst I have been assured by 4 senior psychiatrists and 4 psychologists as well as legal counsel that this is in no way my fault. I still sit with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach (I trusted him), major loss of self belief and feel that I will never really understand what happened - although it would seem to be clear to everyone else given the objective evidence in the boundary transgressions. I have tried so hard to move on and in most departments I am coping. However the other day I saw him on the side of the road and I literally fell apart. I shook and trembled uncontrollably and couldn''t stop crying. I took 2 days to recover. Unfortunately when I become anxious like this I tend to mentally obsess/left brain chatter (and all the self-doubt comes racing back) and this just exacerbates everything. Is this normal/PTSD and how long do these things take to settle?

Thanking you in advance.
Stress Reduction Expert

Dear D,

You asked:
Is this normal/PTSD and how long do these things take to settle?

No, not always. Your situation sounds terribly debilitating and it's clear you have enough psycho-therapeutic support for this. PTSD states are often physiological, emotional and not only a psychological problem.

It would seem that you would gain much benefit from this approach to control your symptoms.

Please complete your Type D profile at www.stressedpersonality.com so we can offer some immediate support.

Kindest,
Justin