Question

Punished for taking maternity leave
I have recently returned from maternity leave.

I see there was a position (that closed the day before I came back) advertised internally for an assistant administrator in the department - i''m employed as the PA to the GM, but have been doing all admin and office support for the whole team(15).

The thing is, the job spec is exactly my job description and BSC. When I left there wasn''t a position available on the structure for an assistant- and i have been assisting the whole team for the past two years. The position is also graded higher than me - meaning more money - for something I''ve doing for two years, systems running well, no complains, instead always praise and appreciation (so I chose to believe the statements).

I was not given the opportunity to apply for the higher paying job. The requirements I basic and am actually way over qualified for the position. It''s just that they are paying more for what i''ve been doing for two years. They refused to give me a raise ( some nonsense about not enough on the budget and recession stories). Now they decide - while I''m on leave- to give the temp my job and pay her more.

Because I raised my concern about this, all of a sudden I''m the cruel B..***h who doesn''t want the poor temp to get a job.

Legally, what can I do. There''s no room for both of us to do this same job- besides I created that job spec. I will be bored out of my mind if I were to just answer phones. The whole system

I feel betrayed and unappreciated, and punished for giving birth and excersing the right to be with my baby for the first 4 months of his life.
Workplace health expert
workplace health expert

Best to face reality here - the deed is done; the employer,for whatever reason chose not to invo;ve you in the selection process. At this time ,a bitter pill, but swallow it and move on . Document all the work you had done - see your detailed email and explore other employment. Enjoy the baby, certainly not a focus for your anger,frustration and blame.