Question

Quads feels like lead
Is there anything I can do or drink to stop my legs becoming like lead, especialy my quads after I have done about 14 to 18 Km's of running. It's very irretating esspesaily when in a race, my heart rate is still ok at the time and I do not feel all that exausted, my resting heart rate is 48bpm, tested my self.

Hi Evert

It's just a training effect. You just have to train to develop the necessary strength to race as you are currently doing. So that means perhaps setting aside a day a week to work on your hill running ability - if you can find a moderate hill about 300 m long, it would be ideal, because that's between 60 and 90 seconds of running, depending on your speed. If you run up that pretty fast, and then jog very slowly down, maybe 6 to 10 times, you'll start to notiice the difference with your legs becoming much stronger. Then hopefully in the race situation, when you are going much less quickly, your added strength will start to pay off.