Question

Query
Hi Doc. I hope you can help. I posted on the ADD forum but have not had a response as yet. My son is 7 and has been on Concerta for the last month. A huge improvement and he is eventually feeling part of his class because he can understand the work. Now my medical aid does not cover the medication and it is quite costly. The last month he has had one every morning. What I would like to know is, can he have 1 tablet every second day as opposed to 1 every day? Hope you or anyone else can advise on this. Thank you.

Sorry if the ADD forum person is a bit slow. Its good to hear that your son seems to be responding so well on Concerta. It would be wise to discuss with the prescribing doc, who has assessed your son, what's best to do about the cost issue ( all competent doctors should ALWAYS take cost issues into acount ) - whethere there is some way for you to get concerta, or whether another and cheaper variation on the drug could be substituted. It doesn't sound as though your son has been on treatment before this, so there may be a bumber of alternative meds that could be tried. If he has actually tried cheaper alternatives with no benefit, your doctor could motivate to the medical aid to allow payment for this particular drug for him. Medical aids are cautious, because far too many doctors just sart with the most expensive alternative without even trying cheaper variations. I dont know which drugs can be provided through provincial hospitals and clinics, or whether they might include concerta - possibly not