Question

query about stolen animals.
hey, my dog was recently stolen and i am terribly upset about it...he was like my child! He was stolen from our garden!! I can't sleep at night, wondering where he is, I'm so worried he is being tortured or beaten or worse been sold for muti! So many dreadful things could be happening to him....I'm going crazy and I can't think about anything. I went to the SPCA but to no avail and even offered a reward...I feel so helpless whilst he is so helpless at the hands of a dog killer.

So why do people steal animals? for what reasons? As you are a vet, I thought you would have seen your fair share of patients who have also lost their dogs in similiar circumstance.

cybervet

Hi Sam
I am not a vet, but an animal behaviourist. However I do hear from a fair number of distressed pet owners whose pets have gone missing. You don't say what breed your dog is, but it is most likely that he will be used for fighting if he is of a fighting breed. Other breeds of animals are occasionally stolen for breeding purposes or for re-sale (pure bred and rare breeds). However sometimes the animals are not stolen, but have escaped somehow and have been found by someone. Keep going to the SPCA and any other rescue organisations every couple of days to check. Sometimes the staff there are too busy or not knowledgeable about breeds to give correct information on the phone. Make some notices, preferably with a photo of your dog, and put them up at vets in your area and even on noticeboards wherever you can. Be positive and good luck!
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST