Ask an expert

09 Jan 2013

I recently met a guy who is showing interest in me and I suspect he is far younger than I am , though he appears matured. Part of me,I somehow have a challenge with dating a younger person ( I don''t know about him and I want to know his view) . I want to inform him of my age in order to test his reaction. How best can I do and express this., maybe texting????.
Answer 251 views

01 Jan 0001

It can be a valid concern to hesitate to date someone you don't really know at all ( and not even knowing his approximate age would count as that ). But I find many people come to the forum deeply worried about "the major age diference" when their partner is 3 or 5 years wounger or older. What matters is social and psychological maturity. OK, where the diference is in decades, there can be other problems worth considering carefully.
I dont really see how telling him your age is much of a test, especially if done by text (!) where you won't be able to see his expression and body language, and will only get a return text which he may have asked someone else to write ! It'd be like choosing to speak to him in person, but only in pitch darkness.
Meet for coffee, chat about yourself and himself, saying that you'd like to get to know a bit more about him, interests, jobs, ages, view of the future, can be part of such a chat.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9323 votes
67% - 18737 votes