Question

questions
I went for scan on CD 12, lining was thin no sign of follicle.FS put me on contraceptive to regulate my cycle will this have any adverse effects?And how safe is the IUI procedure ?Does this procedure increase the chances of one having multiples if so , can a person who has had myomectomy carry multiples successfully or are the dangers greater?
fertility expert

Dear Curious

The idea of using a contraceptive pill to regulate the period is generally acceptable without any adverse effects. IUI is an extremely safe procedure provided that the sperm parameters are reasonable and suitable for such procedure. The liklihood of multiple pregnancies occuring in a simple IUI cycle without ovulation induction is very low. This is due to the fact that without any ovulation induction, a sinlge follicle/egg is prroduced as would normally occur and hence the liklihood of multiple pregnancy is remote.
However, where ovulation induction is being used in the form of tablets (clomiphene citrate) or injections or a combination of the two, then certainly the number of eggs will be increased and the liklihood of mutiple pregnancies increase consequently. Certainly in the case of previous myomectomy the risk of complications will increase in multiple pregnancies but are still reasonablly acceptable in the case of twins.