Ask an expert

17 Feb 2009

R there Neuro-Psychiatrists in JHB?????
Please can you tell me how I can find out where, in the JHB area it is possible to contact a Neuro-psychiatrist. I was on vacation in the UK and took a very bad spill from my bicycle down an embankment and landed with my head on an wooden poll.
I needed a few stitches to be put into my upper scalp area but the Neurologist there said that he would strongly advise that once home, I contact a Neuro-Psychiatrist as I have been having difficulty since the accident to pronounce certain words incorrectly, am uncharacteristically extremely moody and at times, my sense of smell and taste is not quite right.
This specialist thought that the combo of a Neuro-psychiatrist would be ideal for me. I have phoned about 11 psychiatrists in the book to ask if they know of a Dr who is a N.S. (everyone said no) and I then phoned as many Neurologists as I could find - again, the same answer. " Sorry, can' t help you." 
It' s been 6 days now since my fall and returning back to SA so I do not have a GP I can ask so find myself in a bit of a bind. This Dr in the UK did not want to put me onto my psych medications until I have had a thorough assessment.
Thanks for any help

Answer 527 views

01 Jan 0001

Neuro-Psychiatry is actually not a recognized sub-speciality, either in the UK or in SA. But in both countries, there are good neurologists capable in psychiatric aspects of the problems they see, and good psychiatrists competent to consider neurological aspects. Symptoms like disordered smell and taste would be best assessed by a neurologist in the first place --- some of the nerves to the nose can be damaged in such head injuries, affecting smell and taste. And they should be able to assess other aspects of the after-effects of a concussion / head injury. So start there. IF the neurologist considers there are further psych aspects, he/she can refer you to a psychiatrist for further assessment. A thorough neurological assessment must be the priority.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9322 votes
67% - 18678 votes