Ask an expert

12 Nov 2006

radiographer with ? hypothyroidism
hi there,

i am a 24yo female diagnostic radiographer. i think i may have an underactive thyroid

i have been gymming, and following the body-for-life program for 6 weeks now with little results. eventually i went to see a dietician, who remarked that my body fat % was much higher (33.1%) than she'd assumed by looking at me. and that although my water and muscle %'s were satisfactory, i have the metabolism of a 57 year old. she said that the only way to improve this was to do weights and eat several small meals throughout the day, rather than 3 big ones - this is what i'd already been doing for 6 weeks.

asides from the difficulty in losing weight, even though i gym 6 times/week and follow her rectified diet plan, other things concern me:

i have gradually developed dry hair and brittle nails. my hair falls out a lot, also my eyebrows. i have uneven skin tone on my arms and legs (red and splotchy in places, with yellowish areas as well), my legs and feet swell - and add to every other nights insomnia (even though i'm dead tired) , because they feel hot and burny.

i felt hot and feverish on friday, but when the nurse in casualty at the hospital where i work took my temperature, it was only 35.3, my resting heartrate was 58.

anyway, my question is should i bother with a GP, or just go straight to a physician?

and then, a dumb question, but could this be related to radiation that i'm exposed to at work? having worked in state hospitals for 4 years that dont supply thyroid shields, or stress the need thereof. if so, even though i now wear a thyroid shield in the private practice i work at, should a diagnosis be confirmed and once on treatment, would i be fighting a losing battle in terms of the radiation i'm exposed to?
Answer 757 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Kim
I think you could go straight to a physician if you have access to one.
You'll find this article interesting:
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.