Question

radiographer with ? hypothyroidism
hi there,

i am a 24yo female diagnostic radiographer. i think i may have an underactive thyroid

i have been gymming, and following the body-for-life program for 6 weeks now with little results. eventually i went to see a dietician, who remarked that my body fat % was much higher (33.1%) than she'd assumed by looking at me. and that although my water and muscle %'s were satisfactory, i have the metabolism of a 57 year old. she said that the only way to improve this was to do weights and eat several small meals throughout the day, rather than 3 big ones - this is what i'd already been doing for 6 weeks.

asides from the difficulty in losing weight, even though i gym 6 times/week and follow her rectified diet plan, other things concern me:

i have gradually developed dry hair and brittle nails. my hair falls out a lot, also my eyebrows. i have uneven skin tone on my arms and legs (red and splotchy in places, with yellowish areas as well), my legs and feet swell - and add to every other nights insomnia (even though i'm dead tired) , because they feel hot and burny.

i felt hot and feverish on friday, but when the nurse in casualty at the hospital where i work took my temperature, it was only 35.3, my resting heartrate was 58.

anyway, my question is should i bother with a GP, or just go straight to a physician?

and then, a dumb question, but could this be related to radiation that i'm exposed to at work? having worked in state hospitals for 4 years that dont supply thyroid shields, or stress the need thereof. if so, even though i now wear a thyroid shield in the private practice i work at, should a diagnosis be confirmed and once on treatment, would i be fighting a losing battle in terms of the radiation i'm exposed to?

Dear Kim
I think you could go straight to a physician if you have access to one.
You'll find this article interesting: http://www.merck.de/servlet/PB/menu/1270030/1270030.html