Ask an expert

01 Dec 2005

Random blushing
Hi Doc,

I am a 26 year old male. I have a problem with facial blushing that can be triggered by a multitude of things. I am not a shy person, in fact I'm quite the opposite and yet my face turns red (sometimes very very red!) at seemingly random occasions. When this is in public, it's extremely embarrassing and it has had a disastrous effect on my social life, even though I'm an outgoing person. I'm so sick of doctors telling me that "it's something I have to live with."
or, my favourite: "just try and calm down." I read about a procedure used in the States called Micro ETS surgery that has had brilliant results in stopping facial blushing. Do you know of anyone in S.A that can perform this surgery? I am desperate. I feel like cutting my face off sometimes. Please help.
Answer 381 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Shaun,
I am not sure if anyone in SA does this, however, I'll try and find out for you - my guess is that it will either be neurosurgeons or plastic surgeons doing the procedure. You could maybe also phone your nearest private hospital and see if you can get hold of a neurosurgeon for their opinion. Please post me a reminder in a few day's time so that I can give you more feedback if possible?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.