Ask an expert

11 Mar 2003

Rash in the underarm, Breastbone area
I have developed a rash that begins under my arms and moves under my breasts and up my breastbone. It appears to be very small red bumps and is extremely painful. I find that if I am wearing a bra it is more painful, the minute I take my bra off, it seems to relieve a little but not much. Could you please tell me what causes this and what I can use for pain relief. I have been putting baby powder, calamain lotion and all this sort of thing and I am now at the point of desperation. Please advise.
Answer 871 views

01 Jan 0001

Monique, it’s difficult to say what the problem is without being able to examine you, but it sounds like it might be a superficial fungal infection called tinea cruris. You can get an anti-fungal cream like Lamisil® from the pharmacy and apply it for a week and see what happens. You can also take an anti-inflammatory/pain killer combination like Myprodol®, Mypaid® or Mybulen® to help with the inflammation and pain. If it doesn’t go away or if it gets worse, you will have to see your doctor. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.