Question

re brittle nail and teeth
i am 50 and my dentist has told me that my teeth are brittle. also my nails splinter easily. have stopped taking premarin after 8 years. have always taken vitamins although not specifically calcium. i only drink soya milk and fat free yogurt as i have dairy intolerance. is it too late to start using calcium supplements and what do you recommend.
Healthy Bones
Healthy Bones

Dear Blossom
Firstly I would suggest that you go for a bone density test to determine whether you have osteoporosis, although there is usually no correlation between brittle teeth and bones. I do notice that you have been on HRT for 8 years which means that you have gone through a premature menopause (either surgically or naturally). A bone density would be a good indicator of your bone health.
Soya milk and fat free dairy contains lot of calcium- just make sure on the containers how much you need to take to get to the recommended 1000mg of calcium per day. If you notice that you cannot get this amount in your diet, a supplement is necessary. Get one which states the elemental calcium content on the container. This is the true bio available calcium that gets absorbed. It is not too late to start calcium supplemets. Also ensure that you get regular weightbearing exercise like walking for 3/4 of an hour 3 times per week, don't smoke and drink alcohol in moderation.