Ask an expert

27 Jul 2011

Re: Freaking Out

I actually have a very involved husband who takes care or the 2 older boys, and the baby is my main responsibility, so I can''t complain from that angle. Baby and I sleep in the spare bedroom to minimize the compounded sleep disturbance of the 2 boys together (the older 2 sleep in our bedroom with my husband). Nevertheless, I don''t see that the sleep deprivation will change any time soon (the oldest started sleeping through from 4 years old and the 2 younger ones are 10 months and 2.5 years respectively). What causes their night wakings is mostly blocked nose or cramps in the baby, and the older one has other physical issues which cause nighttime headaches (difficult to distinguish) and he is in the nightmare phase now. So I need to find another way to cope. I was on ADs for 5 years, but weaned off earlier this year. I am not prepared to start using it again as it takes away my motivation completely and makes me a dud at work and at home. There must be something else I can do to help maintain my composure when I am frazzled from sleep deprivation???
Answer 320 views

01 Jan 0001

Its not simply an over-all division of labour ( though hats off to a fair and participating father ) but sharing the sleep deprivation. Is there no way to plan even a couple of nights a week of proper undisturbed sleep ? I wonder why nobody offers a night-time babysitting service to handle the night chores. The only apparently safe drug around which increases alertness and reduces sleep need is Provigil ( which you can Google, I know it was made available in SA, but don't know if it's still around ). Otherwise you'd be offered sleeping tabs of one form or another, which would make you more drowsy and tireder.
Provigil is used by Air Force pilots and others going into combat, which may seem apt. But prolonged sleep-deprivation is unhealthy, and plans must still be made for you to have some days of rest.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9260 votes
66% - 17820 votes