Question

Re: Painful Big Toe 10/1/03
I am referring to my previous posting and your reply and thought I'd let you know that I have started taking ant-inflammorories 2 days ago. Although my foot is getting better, it is still not right and the area is still very sensitive (sharp pins and needles type of pain) on the sole of my foot opposite the Big Toe. There is no swelling however, I have noticed that my foot and leg is not always the same colour as the other one. I find that because I have been compensating my weight on other areas of my foot that I have a lot of discomfort all over the foot. What do you suggest?

Gina, it sounds like you might even have a Morton’s neuroma. It is a pinched nerve between the foot bones that causes transient numbness and or pain. You can have it injected with cortisone and if that doesn’t work, you can have it surgically removed by an orthopaedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon. The best would be to get a second opinion as I can’t really give you a definite diagnosis without examining you first. Good luck.