Question

re: thrush diet
Dear Doc,
I have been having recurring thrush for the past few years.I have been to the homeopath on Saturday & she has suggested I see a dietician for a diet, for thrush. Please advise on what I can eat & what I should eliminate from my diet. Please help. Thanks

Dear Frustrated
Candida (which causes thrush) is a fungus that occurs in the human body in all people. Under certain circumstances we develop so-called Candida infections that need to be treated with antifungals. I do not personally believe that foods play a role in Candida, as some of the leading SA microbiologists have not ever found any link between diet and Candida. It helps to use probiotics or 'good bugs' like Acidoforte by mouth and Vagiforte by vagina (buy at health shops) to help combat the Candida. If you would like to consult a dietitian then visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. You can combine the diet prescribed by the dietitian with anti-fungal treatment as prescribed by your dr and the probiotics.