Question

Reactive hypoglycaemia
Dear Diet Doc

A few years ago I was diagnosed with Reactive hypoglycaemia. It has been very difficult to control and I am now at the point of giving up. I avoid sugar and many other foods that cause a reaction. I suffer from horrible sugar dips, headaches, lack of energy and wanting to pass out. I am use to this feeling but sometimes get scared when it occurs when I am driving or bathing. Another aspect, which I don’t understand, is once my body starts to go down into a sugar dip it can take days to feel normal again. My body normal starts slowly moving towards this terrible dip and then slowly starts to climb back to normal. This can take up to two weeks. I normally know trouble is coming when my arms and legs become very heavy. It has been so bad before that I could not stand on my legs I felt so heavy. I have tried everything to fix this and nothing works. At the moment I am on Chromium nictotate tablet, which has improved the situation slightly, and six small meals a day. I have been to doctors, dieticians and even pharmacists. The most irritating feel about reactive hypoglycaemia is in the mornings. I feel like I have had a good nights drinking behind me every single day. To put it simply I hate mornings it is when my sugar is at its worst.

When I feel sick I don’t know what to do. Please can you give me some advice to help me feel normal?

Dear Ling
I know how you feel and that best way of combatting these horrid dips in blood sugar levels is to eat ONLY unprocessed grains and cereals, legumes, vegetables and fruit that is not too sweet (no grapes or grape juice) in addition to your other foods like meat, etc. Avoid alcohol in all its forms and all sweetened foods (cakes, tarts, biscuits, sweets, jam, etc). Stick to the 5 small meals per day and the chromium tablets. Make sure that you ALWAYS have some wholewheat crackers, cheese, and nuts available to eat when you feel a dip coming. Try and void stress as this can make the condition worse. Once you feel better it may be a good idea to start doing regular exercise like walking and yoga - this will improve your blood glucose control and help you to relax.
Take care now