Question

Rebound congestion
Dear Doc

A while ago, I got really bad sinusitis and during the recovery, I started using Illiadin which helped a lot. I have however become addicted to it and now have severe rebound congestion.
The problem is two fold, I can survive the day, but at night it feels like my nose has cement in it. I am clausterphobic and have the most terrible nightmares if I do fall asleep, so I end up using the Illiadin again to breathe. At the moment I have a bad head cold, but once this clears, I would like to get off the Illiadin. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thank you

HI Belinda
Ask your doctor to help! He needs to prescribe a short course of cortisone ( Meticorten ) - I usually give 6 the first day, then 5 then 4 etc x 6 days. During this time you can start using Beconase aqeous twice a day, a local cortisone nose spray that takes about a week to become effective. This will reduce the inflammation and swelling in your nose to such an extent that you can stop using the Illeadin.